Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WHEN IT RAINS, IT STILL POURS

through our ceilings! This week we're having the floors in the office, living, and dining rooms refinished for the third, and final (hopes) time. For some reason the floors were scratching like mad, and the finish seemed to feel soft, as if it wasn't quite dry. This was the reason we had to redo the floors a second time, and it only seemed to get worse! I have never seen anything like it and it was clearly not acceptable. This third time we chose a different refinisher and they seem to be doing a good job. Well no good job goes unpunished, here at Hellwood. No sooner was the stain put on, when it started to rain, and we noticed the ceiling leak in the office, and morning room, has not been fixed.

Back to trying to find the entry point, for the fourth or fifth time. I have always felt it was coming through the upstairs windows rather than the upstairs balcony floor, but it appears now to have come in through the thresholds of the
balcony doors.
It finally appears to have been the correct source, as it rained throughout last night and today, and so far no more signs of a leak.
I'm peeking in the rooms every hour, and it's crazy, that I'm so happy not to see a puddle of water on the floor!
I won't even get into how unhappy I am about having to deal with all the casing on the morning room door that has to be replaced because of this leak.
Well I wanted a house that looked like it had been here for a hundred years, and I'm getting my wish. This house will have more coats of paint on everything than most people put on in two lifetimes. I just may be Sherwin Williams, and Farrow & Balls biggest single purchaser.


2 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

ugh -thats awful! Glad you found the leak before it became TOO much of a problem.

No Sacrifice Bags said...

Thank God for April showers!