Thursday, March 4, 2010

PAINT IT BLACK







Trim is the new black, in my house today. I have to say that I have held very firm on this for the last three years, nipping all discussions with my Chief Financial Officer aka, my husband Bob, in the bud, before they could bloom; if you know what I mean?

The painter started on the wood trim, and I was up at the cottage, caught unaware; out of the blue, and into the black.

Bob was never keen on the black; but he's colour blind, so why would I ever let him loose with a fan deck? He fell in love with me, the day I was wearing a dress he thought was hideous. It was a shift, with a red ground, and green, blue, and white, flowers in a small print. Alright, I agree, it sounds hideous in description, although it really wasn't that bad; but I digress.


My photos didn't turn out well, most were out too dark, to post.
The trim and door paint is Sherwin Williams, Black Magic. I originally chose Farrow & Ball, Off Black; but there was a little misunderstanding,and I was informed that I couldn't use an oil based paint, so I went to a Sherwin Williams, latex based paint for the trim. As it turns out, the Sherwin Williams paint, the painter bought is oil based. Apparently, we can still buy oil base paint, until next year, when they will be off the market.
This so far, is the only non "green" product we have in our house!
The painter has sprayed on the first coat, and is sanding before spraying the second
coat.

I'm very happy with the painter. He is doing such a great job, and I'm so impressed with everything he has done, to date.

I'll add more pictures, of the trim, as the painting progresses.

6 comments:

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh you have opened a can of worms...when my architect husband was off at work and he left me "in charge" I changed the paint colour as advised by the painter...I have lived to regret it....MR. HB knew what was right...I made a big mistake...you are very fortunate that you have on site advisors...paint it black....

No Sacrifice Bags said...

Hi Mrs. HB, I may live to regret the the upkeep of the black trim. Everyone say's it will show every spec of dust.

I just wanted something a little dramatic,and different,this time around.

Wunderkammer said...

I love the black paint on the door, at last something else. Great idea, thanks, I will follow your blog. Thanks for the photos regards jürgen

http://camara-de-maravillas.blogspot.com/

No Sacrifice Bags said...

Thanks Jurgen, If you click on my pictures they will expand.

I decided to paint the doors, trim, and baseboards black, because I thought it would look elegant with the polished nickel, hardware, and handrail on the staircase.

bloomgirl said...

My goodness... Duchess of H...
I would have never come across your lovely blog if you didn't find mine. I really love how you've made a blog about the entire process of building you dream home... (emphasis on DREAM HOME!) I really love the black trim... but I have to say, I love every bit of your home...
You are truly lucky! I look forward to following your blog! :)

No Sacrifice Bags said...

Thank You, Bloomgirl. I noticed your blog on tpf.
I couldn't find your comment feature, to say hello to a fellow Canadian.