Wednesday, April 7, 2010

JUVENILE TRUMPETER SWAN






I was surprised to see a young Trumpeter swan on our pond this morning. I didn't have time to take pictures, and these were the best of them.
I hope this swan decides to take up residence here at the farm. I miss having swans on the pond. The Trumpeters help to keep the geese away, but they can be very agressive to other species of swans.
Some wild trumpeters killed one of our Australian Black, swans, several years ago. It was so sad, and shocking to realise how violent, these beautiful creatures can become.

I included a photo, of a wild Trumpeter chasing our Mute swan, three years ago. We were happy when they finally flew off.

Update May, 27, 2010. I can't be certain this is the same swan, because he flew off, and I haven't seen him for a few weeks.
Tuesday morning I noticed that we now have two, and they appear to me a mated pair of juveniles. Perhaps the lone swan flew off to look for a mate to bring back and make this pond their home?

No comments: